The Vera List Center for Art and Politics presents “I’m Not Dancing, I’m Struggling to Survive,” an online adaptation of a performance by artist Jesus Benavente. Join us via Zoom and hold a party wherever you may be and connect with hundreds of others, acquaintances or strangers from across the world, and dance together. Click here to learn more.
SAFE SPACE RULES APPLY:
• We ask that you enter the party in good faith and with goodwill.
• It is a space for creating community and dancing together, virtually.
• Respect each other’s privacy.
• Harassment, of any kind, will not be tolerated.
• Participants will be muted upon entry, but keep your video on!
• Inactive participants may be kicked off to make space for others.
• Use chat to connect and communicate.
• Please comply fully with all official safety pronouncements regarding the coronavirus that pertain to your location.
The video is a composite of found video footage, some of it depicting loud sirens and police activity.
Zoom access link will be provided upon registration, along with suggested props for the full experience, and ways to share the performance on social media. Participation limited to 300 at any one time; first come, first serve applies.
By registering for this event you agree to the safe space rules above and acknowledge the trigger warning.
FOR THE FULL AUDIO/VISUAL EXPERIENCE OF JESUS' PERFORMANCE:
• Turn on any party lights and turn off your room lights to bathe in the video light.
• If you have a projector, use that to project the videostream.
• Blow up balloons, white balloons preferred.
Image credit: Jesus Benavente, I’m Not Dancing, I’m Struggling to Survive, still from video-performance, 2020. Courtesy of the artist.